NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Amazon (AMZN) shares soared in premarket trading on Friday as investors responded positively to the Internet retail giant's strong first-quarter results, released after market close on Thursday.
The Seattle firm beat analysts' earnings estimates by four-fold and said profit margins held steady, much to the delight of investors.
Amazon shares climbed $32.71, or 16.69%, to $228.70 before the market open Friday. The company was also one of the most active Nasdaq stocks on share volume of 1,051,322.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV