By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Expedia (EXPE) reported strong results Thursday afternoon, and one investor is positioned for some major profits.
OptionMonster's tracking systems detected the purchase of 10,000 January 35 calls for $2.55 and $2.60 about halfway through the session. Those contracts lock in the price investors must pay to buy the stock, so they can deliver major leverage if the shares move in the right direction.
So far, so good: The online travel company reported first-quarter profit of 22 cents on revenue of $816.5 million. Analysts had expected 15 cents and $790.91 million, respectively.Expedia finished Thursday's session up 0.96% to $32.63 but was quoted at $38.74 in extended trading after the earnings report. If the gains hold this morning, those January calls will probably more than double to somewhere between $5 and $6. The stock had rallied late last year and early this year but then pulled back and found support at its 100-day moving average. It's now poised to test its previous all-time highs from early 2008. Overall option volume was 21 times greater than average in the session, with calls outnumbering puts by more than 12 to 1. Russell has no positions in EXPE.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV