Clearwater Paper Corp Stock Downgraded (CLW)
- CLW, with its decline in revenue, slightly underperformed the industry average of 2.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 1.7%. The declining revenue appears to have seeped down to the company's bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- The change in net income from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the Paper & Forest Products industry average, but is less than that of the S&P 500. The net income has significantly decreased by 33.5% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $5.60 million to $3.73 million.
- CLEARWATER PAPER CORP's earnings per share declined by 31.9% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past year. However, the consensus estimate suggests that this trend should reverse in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, CLEARWATER PAPER CORP reported lower earnings of $1.67 versus $3.13 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($3.10 versus $1.67).
- The debt-to-equity ratio of 1.09 is relatively high when compared with the industry average, suggesting a need for better debt level management. Even though the debt-to-equity ratio is weak, CLW's quick ratio is somewhat strong at 1.33, demonstrating the ability to handle short-term liquidity needs.
- Current return on equity is lower than its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of weakness within the company. When compared to other companies in the Paper & Forest Products industry and the overall market, CLEARWATER PAPER CORP's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
-- Written by a member of TheStreet Ratings Staff
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Portfolio Manager Jim Cramer and Director of Research Jack Mohr reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
David Peltier uncovers low dollar stocks with serious upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
David Peltier identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.