A Weitz Fund to Win in Downturns
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Weitz Funds can boast about some strong long-term track records. During the past 15 years, Weitz Partners Value (WPVLX) returned 9.7% annually, outdoing the S&P 500 by 3.6 percentage points and topping 97% of large blend funds, according to Morningstar. Weitz Value (WVALX) also produced stellar results, returning 8.8% and surpassing 98% of peers in the large value category.
But the Weitz funds are only for patient shareholders. Diehard value investors, the Weitz managers take stocks that have delivered disappointing earnings or fallen out of favor. As a result, the funds sometimes trail the markets for long periods. In 2008, both Weitz funds lagged most of their peers.
For many investors, the best choice may be one of the company's younger funds, Weitz Partners III Opportunity (WPOIX). Partners III outdid most peers in 2008. During the past five years, the fund topped Weitz Partners Value and Weitz Value by 3 percentage points annually.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV