S&P Downgrades Spain, Outlook Negative
The credit rating agency also cut its short-term sovereign credit rating to 'A-2' from 'A-1' and said the outlook on the long-term rating is negative.
"The downgrade reflects our view of mounting risks to Spain's net general government debt as a share of GDP in light of the contracting economy, in particular due to: The deterioration in the budget deficit trajectory for 2011-2015, in contrast with our previous projections, and [t]he increasing likelihood that the government will need to provide further fiscal support to the banking sector," S&P said.
The firm previously lowered its rating on Spain in mid-January, and said Thursday's downgrade was in part driven by the country's banking system depending on "official funding sources" much more than it had anticipated."In our view, the strategy to manage the European sovereign debt crisis continues to lack effectiveness," S&P said. "We think credit conditions, and hence the economic outlook for Spain, could now deteriorate further than we anticipated earlier this year unless offsetting eurozone policy measures are implemented to support investor confidence and stabilize capital flows with the rest of the world." --Written by Michael Baron in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Michael Baron.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV