Applied Micro Circuits Corporation (NASDAQ:AMCC) today announced the world’s first web server implementation running on a 64-bit ARM v8-compliant processor. This demonstration of an open-source web server application represents another critical milestone for X-Gene™, AppliedMicro’s “Server-on-a-Chip” solution designed to power next-generation cloud-computing data centers and reduce total cost of ownership (TCO). It also represents the first 64-bit ARM development vehicle for the ecosystem community that will aid in the acceleration of server system development.
X-Gene world's first web server implementation running on a 64-bit ARM v8-compliant processor. (Photo: Business Wire)
Since first announcing X-Gene in October of 2011, AppliedMicro has evolved the initial multi-core server-on-a-chip (SOC) implementation to a full-scale server running real applications. This enables OEMs, ODMs, Cloud Service Providers, Independent Software Vendors and other development partners to conduct early stage performance benchmarking and software development in parallel with silicon development.
The X-Gene platform features multi-core ARM v8-compliant 64-bit processors and a high performance memory subsystem. It also offers a cloud server I/O featuring an integrated Ethernet NIC, and other communications interfaces for connecting external peripherals. Other hardware highlights include:
- Multi-core ARM v8 running SMP with L1, L2, and L3 Caches
- System memory to host Linux and other server applications
- Coherent fabric, SOC peripherals and associated bridges
The platform is capable of running a full LAMP software stack featuring open-source Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP.The X-Gene SOC solution addresses the fundamental data center problems of performance, power and total cost of data center ownership. As the number of users generating and accessing unstructured content on the Web explodes globally, the need for power-efficient, high-throughput Web servers capable of handling distributed workloads increases. X-Gene enables Web servers to handle dynamic content while delivering industry-leading TCO improvements for warehouse scale vendors and hosting providers. Platforms are now shipping to top-tier hardware customers and operating system vendors in both North America and Asia.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV