Please refer to the Safe Harbor language on Slide 3 of the presentation. Our comments today will contain forward-looking statements. These statements are subject to risks and uncertainties as described in the press release and other filings with the SEC. The company undertakes no obligation to update any forward-looking statement, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise, except as required by law.
Today's discussion will focus on results from continuing operations and will include references to non-GAAP financial measures in order to provide more meaningful comparisons between the periods presented as outlined on Slide 4. Reconciliations between GAAP and non-GAAP results are provided in the attachment to the press release and the supplemental slide presentation. The presentation will begin on Slide 6.
I will now turn the call over to Frank Martire for an overview of first quarter results. Frank?
Frank R. MartireThanks, Mary. Good morning, everyone, and thank you for joining us on today's call. I'll begin today's business review with a brief summary of our financial performance and business highlights for the first quarter of 2012. Gary will follow with the operations report and Mike will provide additional insight into our financial results and our outlook for the remainder of the year. We are very pleased with our strong first quarter results. Organic revenue growth improved to 5.3% in the first quarter, driven by solid performance across all businesses. EBITDA increased 10.3% and the EBITDA margin expanded 150 basis points to 28.1%. Earnings per share totaled $0.55, which represents a 22% increase compared to the first quarter of 2011. These results reflect our ongoing focus on increasing organic growth, driving margin expansion and delivering double-digit growth in earnings per share. The team is doing a great job executing the strategy that we described at the Investor Day.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV