Dollar Recovers Against Euro After US Housing Data
NEW YORK (AP) â¿¿ The dollar was little changed against the euro Thursday after a pair of mixed U.S. economic reports. The Japanese yen jumped against the dollar on expectations that the Bank of Japan will increase its bond-buying program to help the country's economy.
The U.S. Labor Department said the number of applications for unemployment was little changed from the previous week, a sign that hiring will likely remain modest. After the disappointing report, the dollar fell to a three-week low against the euro.
The dollar recovered from those lows after The National Association of Realtors said that pending home sales rose to the highest level in nearly two years. That's as a sign that the U.S. housing market is slowly improving.
By late Thursday, the euro was trading at $1.3239. It was worth $1.3230 late Wednesday.Traders also got mixed messages about the economy from the Federal Reserve Wednesday. The Federal released a statement after its two-day policy meeting without mentioning new steps to help the economy. But chairman Ben Bernanke said late Wednesday that more bond purchases to help the economy remain "very much on the table." Elsewhere, economists believe that the Bank of Japan will modestly increase its bond-buying program Friday. It would be the second time this year that the central bank has bought more government bonds to boost the economy. The dollar fell to 80.95 Japanese yen late Thursday from 81.29 yen Wednesday. In other trading, the British pound rose to $1.6198 from $1.6182. The dollar fell 0.9079 Swiss franc from 0.9081 Swiss franc. The dollar rose to 98.37 Canadian cents from 98.29 Canadian cents.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV