NEW YORK -- Amazon.com (AMZN), the online retailer, topped analysts' earnings estimates and said profit margins held steady.
Amazon's margins in the first quarter were 1.45%, in line with the fourth quarter's 1.5%.
Amazon posted earnings of 28 cents a share as revenue rose 34% to $13.2 billion, thanks in part to strong Kindle Fire sales.
Analysts expected Amazon to report earnings of 7 cents a share on revenue of $12.9 billion.Amazon provided second-quarter revenue guidance, with the midpoint slightly below Wall Street estimates. Amazon: It's All About the Margins
Starbucks (SBUX), the coffee seller, said fiscal second-quarter profit rose 18% and it raised its forecast for the year. Starbucks said global same-store sales rose 7% in the period. Same-store sales in China and the Asia Pacific jumped 18%. Sales rose 8% in the Americas, but fell 1% in the region encompassing Europe, Middle East, Russia and Africa. 14 Deal-Ready Stocks for the M&A Boo
Automaker Ford (F) is expected by analysts before the bell Friday to report first-quarter earnings of 35 cents a share on revenue of $31.5 billion. 10 Stocks Poised to Rise in Apple's Wake
Also reporting Friday before the opening bell are three Dow components: Chevron (CVX), Merck (MRK), and Procter & Gamble (PG).
Expedia (EXPE), the online travel company, posted a first-quarter loss, but profit excluding certain costs in the period beat expectations. Expedia posted adjusted profit of 26 cents a share; analysts were expecting earnings of 15 cents. Revenue rose 12% to $816.5 million; analysts forecast revenue of $792.3 million.
-- Written by Joseph Woelfel
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joseph Woelfel >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV