Last up is $14 billion electric utility Edison International (EIX). Like News Corp., Edison is an uptrending channel trade that's seeing a bounce off of trend line support this week.
As with most real world trend channels, Edison hasn't obeyed its channel perfectly in the last year. Back in November, shares tested a break of trendline resistance. It's pretty common for trend channels to get violated; it typically occurs when a large sentiment shift (such as a major trade from a single institution) shoves the supply and demand balance off-kilter, but in both NWSA and EIX, a tweezer top candlestick pattern put prices back in their place in short order.
For a channel trade, it's crucial to wait for the bounce off of support. Remember trendlines do eventually break, and when that happens, you don't want to be left holding the bag. A bounce confirms that there's still demand for shares below that support level. With EIX in bounce mode yesterday, I'd throw the buy switch on the stock's next white bar day.To see this week's trades in action, check out the High Volume Technicals portfolio on Stockpickr. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV