Another ascending triangle pattern is shaping up in shares of U.S. Steel (X). Typically, ascending triangles are thought of as bullish continuation patterns -- they come into play after an up move has already occurred, like the setup in Merck. But in the case of U.S. Steel, shares are actually making an ascending triangle bottom.
So is that a cause for concern? Nope.
As a trader, it's important not to get hamstrung by the "textbook" definition of a setup; instead, the crucial element of the X trade is the glut of supply of shares at $32.50 and the indication of buying pressure from uptrending support. Those two technical levels are ultimately what cause the price action we're looking for in shares.>>5 Breakout Trades From the Eurozone U.S. Steel does give us some extra hints, though. A big one is momentum, measured in this case by 14-day RSI. Momentum is a leading indicator of price -- so the short-term uptrend in RSI confirms the bullish bent in X. Even so, wait for that $32.50 breakout before becoming a buyer.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV