2. BP's Bad Guy
It's taken two years and 200 million gallons of crude oil spilled into the Gulf of Mexico, but the Feds finally got their man. The Justice Department announced Tuesday it filed the first criminal charges in the Deepwater Horizon disaster, accusing a former BP (BP) engineer of deleting text messages.
Yep, you read that correctly. It was the country's biggest offshore oil disaster, a tragedy which left 11 people dead and cost billions of dollars in environmental damage, and they busted a guy for deleting text messages.Hey, give the government a break, at least they got somebody! Kurt Mix, a former BP engineer, was arrested on two counts of obstruction of justice for allegedly destroying a string of 300 texts in which he and a co-worker were discussing the failure of the company to cap the leaking well. The messages were said to have been wiped out in October 2010 and August 2011, despite BP sending numerous notices to Mr. Mix requiring him to save all communications concerning the rig. A number of the erased messages were recovered forensically, however, including sensitive information about the "top kill" plan which ultimately proved incapable of stemming the flow. And now, unlike former BP CEO Tony Heyward, poor Mr. Mix looks like he's dead in the water. Remember Tony? That's right, he's the guy that wanted his "life back." And sure enough, that's exactly what he got.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV