Strong performance in Personal Care and emerging markets, those were the key drivers behind our growth; so overall, a pleasing start, albeit against a weak prior-year comparator in Europe. And as you all know, impacted by some positive one-offs which affected all competitors.
Turnover for the quarter was €12.1 billion, that’s up 11.9%. Volume growth contributed 3.5% and price at 4.7%, and that mainly reflects the carryover effect of price increases taken last year. In a period when pricing has been high, our positive volumes demonstrate the strength of our brands and the impact of our much improved innovation programs, although we have a long way to go.
Net acquisitions contributed 2.7% and this reflects the consolidation of Alberto Culver, which, as you know, we completed in May last year, and Concern Kalina more recently, the leading local Russian personal care business that we acquired in December. FX was positive at 0.5%.
Emerging markets now accounts for 56% of our turnover in the first quarter. Underlying sales growth at 11.9% and healthy volume at around 5% plus. And this growth was widespread. Underlying sales growth in the so called BRIC countries at 13%, but other markets importantly also played their part, countries such as Indonesia, Vietnam and various markets in North Africa, but also the Middle East.As you know, we are well positioned in emerging markets. For well over the last 20 years, our volume growth has averaged around 5%. And we’ve delivered in good as well as bad times. In the last four quarters, our underlying sales growth has been in double-digit territory. Our Q1 results, we believe, are just another data point that suggests that emerging markets will drive Unilever’s growth for many years to come. However, as much as we are confident about our ability to outperform markets, there are many indicators that suggest that the global macroeconomic environment will remain very difficult.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV