Natural gas and oil production have started to change the domestic energy landscape over the past half a decade. One out of every five jobs since the end of the recession has come from the energy sector, the U.S. has become a net gasoline exporter for the first time in a generation, and North Dakota now produces more oil than OPEC member Ecuador does.
I believe we are in the early innings of an energy renaissance in North America. One area of particular interest is the expansion of the natural gas infrastructure as it takes more market share from coal and as massive new projects get under way to build the facilities needed to export natural gas. The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission's decision to approve Cheniere Energy's (LNG) proposal to build the nation's largest natural-gas export terminal in Louisiana should kick off an avalanche of similar projects.
The companies that supply the pipes, steel, know-how and other materials and products should benefit greatly over the next decade as the U.S. capitalizes on its huge bounty of new energy sources. Here are three companies I believe will benefit and should be considered as investments to take advantage of this long-term trend.
Chicago Bridge & Iron Co. (CBI) provides conceptual design, engineering and construction services to energy and natural resource industries worldwide.Four reasons CBI is a long-term bargain at $44 a share:
- CBI will be one of the primary firms employed to build these huge LNG facilities.
- Analysts expect very solid growth from the company over the next two years. Projections call for 15% to 20% revenue growth for both FY2012 and FY2013, respectively.
- The stock is undervalued with a five-year projected Price/Earnings/Growth ratio of 0.88 and a forward Price-to-Earnings ratio just below 13. It also has a solid balance sheet with more than $600 million in net cash (approximately 15% of its market capitalization).
- The median price target on CBI is a little north of $54 a share. Credit Suisse has an Outperform rating and a $58 price target on the company.
- It has a low five-year projected PEG of 0.88 and a forward PE of just over 9, significantly under its five-year average of 18.2.
- It has easily beaten earnings estimates three of the last four quarters, and consensus estimates for FY2012 and FY2013 have steadily increased over the past three months.
- It has a solid balance sheet, yields 1.8% and sells for around 1x annual revenues.
- The median price target is $64.50. Stifel Nicolaus just initiated the stock as a Buy earlier in the month. Given the company again beat estimates easily on the top and the bottom line earlier in the week, I would look for price targets to be raised over the coming few weeks.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV