SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO, Calif., April 26, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- diaDexus, Inc. (OTC Bulletin Board: DDXS), a company focused on the development and commercialization of proprietary cardiovascular diagnostic products, today announced the inclusion of its vascular-specific inflammatory marker Lp-PLA2 in the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists ("AACE") medical guidelines for clinical practice published in the March/ April 2012 issue of Endocrine Practice.
"The AACE's guidelines are an important endorsement of the clinical utility of Lp-PLA2 measurement. Specifically, the guidelines recommend the use of multiple markers, including Lp-PLA2, to assist physicians in personalizing therapy for elevations or other abnormalities in blood lipids. These abnormalities, commonly referred to as "dyslipidemia," are a major risk factor for coronary artery disease," said Brian E. Ward, Ph.D., Chief Executive Officer of diaDexus. "As more health care professionals utilize Lp-PLA2 as a component of cardiovascular risk assessment, we believe that diaDexus' PLAC Test for Lp-PLA2 should contribute to saving lives."
The AACE is the third major association of medical professionals to underscore the value of Lp-PLA2. The new recommendations complement medical guidelines published by the American College of Cardiology Foundation/America Heart Association and the American Stroke Association, in 2010 and 2011. These two earlier guidelines support Lp-PLA2 measurement for assessment of cardiovascular risk in asymptomatic adults and for primary prevention of stroke.
The new AACE guidelines(1) recommend Lp-PLA2 measurement as part of global risk assessment for patients with dyslipidemia, and have identified elevated Lp-PLA2 levels as an important risk factor for the development of vascular disease. Dyslipidemia is a major risk factor for the development of coronary artery disease ("CAD") and may even be a prerequisite for CAD, occurring before other major risk factors come into play. Elevated Lp-PLA2 levels are specific for inflammation in the blood vessels, and are not influenced by obesity, infections or other inflammatory conditions unrelated to atherosclerosis.The AACE guidelines include the following statements:
- Lp-PLA2 has been identified as a strong and independent predictor of cardiovascular disease events and stroke in patients with and without clinically evident CAD.
- Measurement of Lp-PLA2, in some studies, has demonstrated more specificity than high sensitivity C-Reactive Protein ("hs-CRP") when it is necessary to further stratify a patient's cardiovascular disease risk, especially with elevated hs-CRP in the presence of other causes of inflammation (hs-CRP is an indiscriminate marker of general inflammation).
- Significantly elevated Lp-LPA2 in combination with significantly elevated hs-CRP constitutes very high cardiovascular disease risk in individuals with low or moderately elevated LDL cholesterol.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV