Diluted earnings per share for the first quarter of 2012 was $0.42 compared to $0.47 per share reported in the same quarter of 2011. Excluding the effect of acquisition-related integration costs and facility consolidation costs, as detailed in the attached schedule, “Reconciliation of Non-GAAP Data,” diluted earnings per share, as adjusted, would have been $0.49 for the first quarter of 2012.
During the fourth quarter of 2011, Bemis initiated a facility consolidation program to improve efficiencies and reduce fixed costs. As a part of this program, Bemis announced the planned closure of five facilities and the intent to move most of the production from these facilities to other Bemis operations. These facility consolidation activities are expected to save approximately $40 million in annualized costs beginning in 2013.
Highlights of the facility consolidation program:
Total facility consolidation program cost is expected to be $83 million
- $38.4 million expensed in 2011 ($26.3 million of employee costs; $12.1 million of fixed asset-related expenses)
- $8.3 million expensed in the first quarter of 2012 ($1.2 million of employee costs; $7.1 million of fixed asset-related expenses)
- Most of the remaining charges are expected to occur during 2012
Total cash paid for the program is expected to be approximately $52
- $3.3 million paid in the fourth quarter of 2011
- $8.0 million paid in the first quarter of 2012
- $24 million expected to be paid during the remainder of 2012
- Remaining cash expenditures are expected to be paid in 2013
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV