Kadant Inc. (NYSE:KAI) reported its financial results for the first quarter ended March 31, 2012.
First Quarter 2012 Financial Highlights
- GAAP diluted earnings per share (EPS) from continuing operations was $0.61 in the first quarter of 2012, an increase of 30% over $0.47 in the first quarter of 2011.
- Revenues were $84 million in the quarter, increasing 17% over the first quarter of 2011.
- Gross profit margins were 45.6% in the first quarter of 2012, one of the highest levels in the Company’s history, although lower than the record 47.6% achieved in the first quarter of 2011.
- Net income was $7.1 million in the first quarter of 2012, up 22% from the first quarter of 2011.
- EBITDA was a record $12.6 million in the first quarter of 2012, up 24% over the first quarter of 2011, and was 15.0% of revenues compared to 14.2% last year.
- Repurchases of common stock were $1.3 million in the first quarter of 2012.
Note: EBITDA is a non-GAAP measure that excludes certain items as detailed later in this press release under the heading “Use of Non-GAAP Financial Measures” and in the reconciliation tables below.
Management Commentary“We are off to a great start in 2012,” said Jonathan W. Painter, president and chief executive officer of Kadant. “Diluted EPS from continuing operations was $0.61 in the first quarter of 2012 and included $0.03 of expense associated with a facility consolidation that was not included in our guidance, which was $0.41 to $0.43. The increase over guidance was largely due to higher than expected gross profit margins in all our major product lines. “Revenues in the first quarter of 2012 were $84 million, an increase of 17 percent over last year, and were at the high end of our guidance, which was $82 to $84 million. The revenue increase over last year was primarily the result of significant increases in our stock-preparation and water-management product lines, which increased 40 percent and 59 percent, respectively. The increase in our stock-preparation product line was entirely due to higher capital sales and was well distributed throughout our operations in North America, Europe, and China. Water-management revenues were also strong in North America and Europe and included $1.6 million from Kadant M-Clean, which we acquired in May 2011.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV