The combined ratio for the quarter of 79.8% included pre-tax catastrophe losses, net of reinsurance recoveries and reinstatement premiums, of $17.6 million or 6.5 percentage points from the severe US storms in February and March. There were no material changes in estimates for the 2010 and 2011 catastrophe events. In addition, there were reinsurance losses of $5.1 million pre-tax, net of reinstatement premiums from the Costa Concordia event which impacted the combined ratio by 2.0 percentage points. In comparison, the combined ratio for the first quarter of 2011 was 178.2% which included pre-tax catastrophe losses, net of reinsurance recoveries and reinstatement premiums, of $284.8 million or 105.8 percentage points.
The segment underwriting profit for the first quarter of 2012 was $54.6 million compared with an underwriting loss of $212.5 million for the first quarter of 2011.
Operating highlights for Insurance for the quarter ended March 31, 2012 include:
- Gross written premiums of $307.9 million, up 31.5% compared with $234.2 million in the first quarter of 2011
- Net earned premiums of $224.4 million, an increase of 24.4% compared with the first quarter of 2011
- Combined ratio of 104.2% compared with 100.1% for the first quarter of 2011, with the increase primarily attributable to $26.5 million, or 11.6 percentage points, of pre-tax losses, net of reinsurance recoveries and reinstatement premiums, from the Costa Concordia event
- Favorable prior year loss reserve development of $8.9 million compared with $1.1 million in the first quarter of 2011
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV