Aspen Insurance Holdings Limited (“Aspen”) (NYSE: AHL) today reports net income after tax of $78.7 million, or $0.99 per diluted share, for the first quarter of 2012.
Trading highlights in the quarter included areas of improved pricing, especially in loss affected and peak zone property lines, targeted premium growth and net favorable reserve development. The reinsurance segment performed strongly and recorded a loss ratio of 50% with good performance in each of the property, casualty and specialty lines. The insurance segment continues to make good progress, in particular in developing its US insurance footprint, although results overall in the insurance segment were impacted by the Costa Concordia event.
Operating highlights for the quarter ended March 31, 2012
- Net earnings per diluted share of $0.99 for the quarter ended March 31, 2012 compared with a net loss per diluted share of $2.25 in the first quarter of 2011 (1)
- Operating earnings per diluted share of $0.88 for the quarter ended March 31, 2012 compared with an operating loss per diluted share of $2.38 in the first quarter of 2011 (1)
- Diluted book value per share of $38.58, up 5.8% from the first quarter of 2011 and up 1.0% from December 31, 2011 (1)
- Annualized net income return on average equity of 10.4% and annualized operating return on average equity of 9.2% for the first quarter of 2012 (2)
- Gross written premiums of $782.1 million for the first quarter of 2012 compared with $671.3 million for the first quarter of 2011
- Combined ratio of 93.8%, or 90.1% excluding natural catastrophe losses for the first quarter of 2012 compared with a combined ratio of 148.7%, or 85.3% excluding natural catastrophe losses for the first quarter of 2011. (1) The Costa Concordia event represented 6.3 points on the combined ratio for the first quarter of 2012
- Prior year net reserve releases of $37.0 million for the quarter compared with $21.9 million of net reserve releases in the first quarter of 2011
(1) See provision of ASU 2010-26 on page 12
(2) See definition of non-GAAP financial measures on pages 11 and 12
Financial highlights, quarter ended March 31, 2012 (unaudited)
$ in millions, except per share amounts and percentages
Q1 2011 (1)
|Gross written premiums||$||782.1||$||671.3||16.5||%|
|Net earned premiums||$||495.4||$||452.4||9.5||%|
|Net investment income||$||52.4||$||55.5||(5.6||)%|
|Net income (loss) after tax||$||78.7||$||(152.8||)||NM|
|Operating income (loss) after tax||$||70.5||$||(161.7||)||NM|
|Diluted net income (loss) per share||$||0.99||$||(2.25||)||NM|
|Diluted operating earnings (loss) per share||$||0.88||$||(2.38||)||NM|
|Annualized net income return on equity||10.4||%||(22.8||)%|
|Annualized operating return on equity||9.2||%||(24.0||)%|
|Book value per ordinary share||$||39.96||$||37.96||5.3||%|
|Diluted book value per ordinary share||$||38.58||$||36.48||5.8||%|
NM: not meaningful
(1) See provision of ASU 2010-26 on page 12
Chris O’Kane, Chief Executive Officer commented, “Our overall results this quarter are encouraging on a number of fronts. The quarter saw strong performance in reinsurance whereas insurance results were impacted by the Costa Concordia event. We continue to execute our strategy of ensuring that our capital, products and people are well aligned with our customers, especially those who are paying good or improving prices for our products.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV