Graco Inc. (NYSE: GGG) today announced results for the first quarter ended March 30, 2012.
|$ in millions except per share amounts|
|Thirteen Weeks Ended|
|Mar 30,||Apr 1,||%|
|Diluted Net Earnings|
|per Common Share||$||0.58||$||0.61||(5||)%|
- Sales increased in all divisions and regions.
- Gross margin rate remained strong at 56 percent.
- Operating expenses included $4 million related to the acquisition of ITW’s finishing businesses.
- Product development expenses were $2 million higher than last year, reflecting our continuing investment in new products and technology.
- Interest expense was $3 million higher than last year due to higher debt levels.
- Changes in currency translation rates did not have a significant effect on consolidated results. Favorable translation effects in Asia Pacific offset unfavorable effects in Europe.
“The first quarter was strong for Graco, reflecting good execution throughout the Company and continued demand by customers worldwide,” said Patrick J. McHale, Graco’s President and Chief Executive Officer. “As expected, growth rates moderated somewhat in the quarter from the prior record-level sales achieved in the first quarter of 2011. Growth in the Americas at 9 percent was better than expected, driven by double-digit increases in the Lubrication and Industrial segments. North American paint channel sales were also healthy in the first quarter, growing double-digits compared to the prior year. Sales in the Asia Pacific region grew at 10 percent (8 percent at consistent translation rates), with double-digit increases in the Lubrication and Contractor segments. In the European region, sales grew at 3 percent (6 percent at consistent translation rates), reflecting strong Industrial segment growth that was offset by macroeconomic conditions, which weighed on our Contractor segment.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
24/7 market commentary from Jim Cramer and 20+ veteran Wall Street gurus. Get access to the latest trading ideas on stocks, options, and ETFs as well as a real-time forum to see the pros exchanging their investment ideas.
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV