PITTSBURGH (AP) â¿¿ Mine Safety Appliances Co. said Wednesday its first-quarter earnings jumped 80 percent as the respiratory and safety equipment maker saw stronger sales in both North America and Europe.
The Pittsburgh, Pa.-based company earned $23.9 million, or 64 cents per share, in the three months that ended March 31. That compares to earnings of $13.3 million, or 36 cents per share, in last year's quarter, when the company also had accounting adjustments tied to an acquisition and restructuring charges totaling $4 million.
Revenue rose 6 percent to $293.5 million.
Analysts surveyed by FactSet expected, on average, earnings of 49 cents per share on $283.2 million in revenue.Mine Safety's products include self-contained breathing apparatuses, gas detection instruments, thermal imaging cameras and other protective gear. The company said its North America sales climbed 5 percent to $137.5 million in the quarter, while European sales rose 12 percent to $72.5 million. Company shares climbed 2.4 percent, or 97 cents, to $42.09 in afternoon trading, outpacing a Standard and Poor's 500 index gain of less than 2 percent.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV