Boeing Says It Backs AMR Plan to Reorganize
Answering a reporter's question during Boeing's earnings call, CEO Jim McNerney said, "American is working through the process now and we support them emerging from this thing as a stronger airline."
"We've seen mergers before," McNerney added. "It's not clear that this one's going to happen, by the way, in our view."
After American emerges from bankruptcy, "If at that point a merger makes sense to the two managements of the companies, we'll support that as well," McNerney noted.Boeing is one of nine members of the creditor's committee in the AMR bankruptcy case. US Airways has reached tentative contract agreements with the three largest American unions, all of whom are also committee members, in an effort to gain support for a takeover of the larger carrier. But AMR, which currently is seeking abrogation of the union contracts, has a period of exclusivity, which extends at least into September, to submit a plan of reorganization. CEO Tom Horton has said the company may be receptive to a merger after it emerges from bankruptcy. US Airways operates the largest Airbus fleet in the world. American operates an all-Boeing fleet, but has placed orders for hundreds of aircraft from both manufacturers. -- Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Ted Reed >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/tedreednc.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV