WINDERMERE, Fla. (Stockpickr) -- U.S. stocks are off to a bullish start today, after tech king Apple (AAPL) reported stronger-than expected results on Tuesday after the market close. Shares of Apple are responding positively, with the stock up over 50 points to $615, or around 9% in early trading.
Market players are now awaiting a Federal Reserve policy announcement and chairman Ben Bernanke's new conference, which will occur later today. Traders are eager to hear if Bernanke will make any hints at the possibility of more quantitative easing or if he will hint that the Fed could be done with its easy money policy.
Some traders believe that Bernanke will have a hard time convincing market participants that we need QE3 since Apple's numbers were so strong. That said, it's possible that Apple is simply taking market share from its competitors and the overall economy is nowhere near as strong. Only time will tell as we move deeper into earnings season and see how a broad base of companies perform from an earnings standpoint.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV