D.E. Master Blenders will trade on the New York Stock Exchange and be headquartered in Amsterdam. The business generated operating income (before corporate overhead) of $452 million last year, and analysts think the standalone business will easily produce more than $380 million of income this year.
D.E. Master Blenders and Sara Lee will pay dividends and have investment-grade credit ratings. Sara Lee has a 65-year track record of paying dividends, but recent dividend growth has been weak at just 1% a year.
Risks to consider: ConocoPhillips bases its income projections on "flat" gas prices and in the short-term will be partially funding the dividend from cash on hand and asset sales. This limits future flexibility and means a dip in oil prices could hurt the dividend. In addition, while both Sara Lee businesses will pay a dividend, the company hasn't disclosed initial rates, payout targets or dividend growth policy.
Action to take--> My top pick is ConocoPhillips because of the company's excellent dividend track record and transparent plan for future dividend growth. Abbott is also a strong choice for dividend investors who want a safe payout and steady growth. Sara Lee is appealing as a value play with modest income growth.>>To see these stocks in action, visit the 3 Upcoming Spinoffs Could Pay Huge Dividends portfolio on Stockpickr. Also see:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV