The following commentary comes from an independent investor or market observer as part of TheStreet's guest contributor program, which is separate from the company's news coverage.
By Lisa Springer
NEW YORK (StreetAuthority) -- Last year was a record year for spinoffs, with deals worth an estimated $116 billion completed. There are even more expected in 2012.
Spinoffs occur when companies want to shed units that are performing poorly, undervalued or unrelated to the main business. Instead of selling to a rival, companies can make a tax-free distribution of the business to investors that often increase shareholder value. In return, the new company is often able to innovate and grow, leading to better returns for shareholders.Unlike IPOs, which get lots of media attention, spinoffs often fly under the radar. This means investors can buy shares before the spinoff is well-known and often lock in above-average yields.
1. Abbott Laboratories (ABT)Yield: 3.4% Abbott plans to spin off its $18 billion research-based pharmaceutical operations from its more stable $22 billion medical products business. The parent company, which will sell nutritional products, branded generic drugs, medical devices and diagnostic products, will keep the 124-year-old Abbott name. The spinoff, which has been named Abbvie, gets to keep a top-selling arthritis drug, Humira, that has almost $9 billion in projected sales, as well as drugs like Lupron, for prostate cancer and Synagis for respiratory disease. Investors were worried about Abbvie's growth prospects because the patent on Humira expires in 2016, but these fears have eased since the company launched a promising new arthritis drug in February and advanced a new Hepatitis C treatment in clinical trials. Abbott is on track to complete the spinoff by year-end.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV