Another provider of outsourced services is HealthStream (HSTM - Get Report), which develops Web-based training programs for health care workers. The stock has advanced more than 33% so far in 2012, although it gapped down to finish 5.9% lower on Tuesday.
The plunge followed a first-quarter earnings miss, but there are some positives about Tuesday's chart action.
First, the stock found support right at its 50-day average, which shows that some institutional investors stepped in to buy shares at a lower price and were not discouraged by the earnings news.
Second, after the initial gap down, the stock spent most of the session working its way higher, so a good part of Tuesday's volume was actually due to buying, not selling.Third, the stock ended the session just above its 20-day moving average, closing above its final price from the week ended April 13. It's not unusual for a stock to slide after a disappointing earnings report but keep its uptrend intact. One thing to be aware of on HealthStream's chart: It has repeatedly pulled back on higher lows. Historically, that has meant a stock's uptrend may be running out of steam. In the past year or so, however, that characteristic has had less of an impact. What does that mean for HealthStream? Although the stock is overdue for a sharp correction that flushes out buyers lacking conviction, recent history shows that a shallow pullback could set the stage for further price gains. As always, though, general market health looms as a determining factor for many stocks' individual run-ups. A buy point for HealthStream could occur at its prior high, $26.90, or even sooner, depending on how its consolidation takes shape.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV