Walgreens presented new research results at the Academy of Managed Care Pharmacy’s 24th Annual Meeting & Expo, April 18-20 in San Francisco, demonstrating the company’s success in driving better patient medication adherence through a diverse set of pharmacy programs. The studies illustrate how Walgreens approach to community pharmacy ultimately helps improve outcomes through cost savings, pharmacist-led face-to-face patient counseling and specialized services for disease management.
Three of the studies presented at the conference included:
- Prescription Savings Club Membership Drives Medication Adherence: This study assessed the impact of enrollment in Walgreens Prescription Savings Club (PSC) on patient adherence to prescriptions used to treat diabetes. Comparison of medication adherence between PSC members and non-members revealed a nearly 10 percent higher medication possession rate for PSC members (77.9 percent vs. 68.0 percent). An increasing number of large employers are seeking methods to improve patient adherence. This study offers evidence that prescription discount memberships may improve medication adherence.
- Impact of Community Pharmacist-Led Counseling on Patient Medication Adherence: This study demonstrated that pharmacist-led, face-to-face patient counseling significantly improves adherence to statin and thyroid medications in new-to-therapy patients. The pharmacist-led counseling resulted in an increase in one-year patient medication possession from 44 percent before the introduction of the program to 56 percent after the introduction of the program. Medication possession in a control group of patients of similar pharmacies without the program showed no significant increase in medication possession.
- Impact of HIV-Specialized Pharmacies on Adherence to Antiretroviral Therapy (ART) Walgreens HIV Centers of Excellence (COE) pharmacies offer specialized services for HIV patients aimed at combatting barriers to adherence, which can lead to longer, healthier lives. At COE pharmacies, 62 percent of patients had adherence of 85 percent or more, compared with 57 percent of patients using community pharmacies.
Previous research also demonstrates that non-adherence with physician-prescribed medication treatment programs has a significantly negative impact on patient outcomes and overall health care costs. On average, 50 percent of patients do not take their medications as prescribed and 33 percent never even fill a new prescription 1. Eleven percent of hospital admissions and 40 percent of nursing home admissions are attributable to medication non-adherence, which has been estimated to cost the U.S. health care system $290 billion annually, including $100 billion in avoidable hospitalizations alone. 2,3 As the number of Americans taking prescription drugs and the prevalence of chronic conditions grows, reducing non-adherence has increasingly become an important focus for health plan sponsors.
“At Walgreens, our number one priority is offering our patients innovative, accessible and personalized solutions to staying well. And providing a support system to facilitate consistent adherence with prescribed medications is a key component of this,” said Kermit Crawford, Walgreens president of pharmacy, health and wellness services and solutions. “This research highlights how three initiatives, -- our Prescription Savings Club program, our face-to-face pharmacist disease management counseling, and our specialty pharmacy offerings -- can all meaningfully help improve adherence. These types of offerings not only benefit our patients, but also the overall health care system by ultimately helping improve outcomes and potentially reduce costs.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV