NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- A wise man once told me "sometimes one has to first lose an eye to see things clearly."
It didn't require a lab experiment for me to appreciate the value in that statement and it has long helped to avert possible aches and pains over the years. In the stock market, embracing the idea of "losing an eye" gets a bit more complicated particularly for corporations given Wall Street's demands for profits and growth. For that matter, investor success is often heavily predicated on "visibility" or anticipation.
RIM's Lack of Visibility
This motto is most appropriate for beleaguered tech giant Research in Motion (RIMM). If there is such a thing as "losing an eye" on the stock market, RIM would rank at the top of the leader board, along with names such as Nokia (NOK), Yahoo (YHOO), AOL (AOL) and Novell. For good measure, let's toss in MySpace, seeing as FaceBook (FB) is due to release its highly anticipated IPO.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV