NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- A wise man once told me "sometimes one has to first lose an eye to see things clearly."
It didn't require a lab experiment for me to appreciate the value in that statement and it has long helped to avert possible aches and pains over the years. In the stock market, embracing the idea of "losing an eye" gets a bit more complicated particularly for corporations given Wall Street's demands for profits and growth. For that matter, investor success is often heavily predicated on "visibility" or anticipation.
RIM's Lack of Visibility
This motto is most appropriate for beleaguered tech giant Research in Motion (RIMM). If there is such a thing as "losing an eye" on the stock market, RIM would rank at the top of the leader board, along with names such as Nokia (NOK), Yahoo (YHOO), AOL (AOL) and Novell. For good measure, let's toss in MySpace, seeing as FaceBook (FB) is due to release its highly anticipated IPO.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV