- Return on average equity was 10.35% for the first quarter of 2012.
- Total loans were $2.0 billion at March 31, 2012, relatively unchanged from December 31, 2011, and up $63.2 million or 3.3% from March 31, 2011.
- Total deposits were $2.9 billion at March 31, 2012, up 7.5% from December 31, 2011, and up 9.5% from March 31, 2011.
- The net interest margin for the first quarter of 2012 was 3.51%, compared to 3.62% for the fourth quarter of 2011, and 3.78% for the first quarter of 2011. Despite the decline in net interest margin over the past 12 months, net interest income of $27.4 million for the first quarter of 2012 remains generally in line with the same period in 2011. Growth in interest earning assets, primarily in the securities portfolio, and funded primarily with core deposits, has helped mitigate the earnings impact from the decline in margin.
- Noninterest income was down 6.7% for the quarter, when compared to the same period in 2011. Card services income and insurance commissions and fees were up from the prior year. Investment services income and deposits services fees were down from the same period last year. A majority of the decline in investment services revenue was the result of a planned decrease in the number of external broker dealer relationships, which was implemented in the third quarter of 2011. Other negative variances compared to the first quarter of 2011 included: a $118,000 decline in net mark-to-market gains on securities and liabilities held at fair value; a $93,000 decline in net realized gains on securities transactions; and a $565,000 decline in other income primarily from lower gains on the sale of residential mortgage loans and reduced income from the Company's investment in a small business investment company.
- Noninterest expense for the first quarter of 2012 was $26.4 million, up 4.6% from the same period last year. Salaries and wages were up in part due to normal salary increases and in part due to higher incentive accruals for business development activities. Lower interest rates have contributed to the increase in the cost of pension and employee benefits. The increase in other operating expense was impacted by approximately $94,000 in expenses related to the pending merger with VIST Financial, and $310,000 related to marketing and business development. Increased expenses in the above categories were partially offset by a reduction in FDIC insurance costs.
- Provision for loan and lease losses was $1.1 million for the first quarter of 2012, down from $1.2 million in the fourth quarter of 2011, and $1.9 million in the first quarter of 2011.
- Nonperforming assets were $42.3 million at March 31, 2012, and have remained relatively flat over the last four quarters. The ratio of nonperforming assets to total assets of 1.19% at March 31, 2012, has improved for six consecutive quarters and remains well below the most recent peer averages of 2.87% published as of December 31, 2011, by the Federal Reserve 1. The Company continues to receive regular payments on over of loan balances that we categorize as nonperforming.
- The Company’s allowance for loan and lease losses totaled $26.9 million at March 31, 2012, which represented 1.36% of total loans, compared to $27.6 million and 1.39% at December 31, 2011. The allowance for loan and lease losses covered 66.65% of nonperforming loans as of March 31, 2012, unchanged from December 31, 2011.
- Capital ratios remain well above the regulatory well capitalized minimums. Tier 1 capital as a percentage of average assets at March 31, 2012 was 8.46%; and the ratio of total capital to risk-weighted assets was 14.37%.
Tompkins Financial Corporation Reports First Quarter Earnings
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.