Exploration and Production earnings were $635 million in the first quarter of 2012 compared with $979 million in the first quarter of 2011. The Corporation’s average worldwide crude oil selling price, including the effect of hedging, was $89.92 per barrel, up from $87.22 per barrel in the same quarter a year ago. The average worldwide natural gas selling price was $6.23 per mcf in the first quarter of 2012, up from $5.84 per mcf in the first quarter of 2011. First quarter oil and gas production was 397,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day compared with 399,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day in the first quarter a year ago.
Marketing and Refining earnings were $11 million in the first quarter of 2012 compared with $39 million in the same period in 2011. Marketing earnings, reflecting the impact of a mild winter on energy marketing operations, were $22 million in the first quarter of 2012 compared with $68 million in the first quarter of 2011. Refining operations incurred a loss of $6 million in the first quarter of 2012, compared with a loss of $48 million in the first quarter a year ago. Trading results were a loss of $5 million in the first quarter of 2012, compared with income of $19 million in the first quarter of last year.
The following table reflects the total after-tax income (expense) of items affecting comparability of earnings between periods:
|Three Months Ended|
|March 31, (unaudited)|
|(Millions of dollars)|
|Exploration and Production||$||36||$||310|
First quarter 2012 results included a gain of $36 million related to the sale of the Corporation’s interest in the Snohvit Field, offshore Norway.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV