At the end of the day, I can always get my shares back. In the AAPL example, I now have at least $60,990 sitting in my account. When my shares got called away, I sold them for $600. On one covered call, that's 60 grand. If my cost basis on AAPL was $500, I turned a 22% profit on the trade, which equates to $10,990 in real dollars before transaction costs.
I could put that money to work and buy AAPL back on the spot. I could wait for the inevitable pullback and buy on weakness. Or, even better, I could turn around and sell an AAPL put, which obligates me to purchase AAPL at the strike price of the contract in the event I get assigned. This represents another way to generate income. As with a short call, when you go short a put, you collect the premium on the option as a credit in your account.
You have some control over whether you get assigned. Plus, you can set your strike price on the basis of your sentiment. If you expect a pullback, go for an OTM put. If you expect some strength, go ITM, which will also bring in more income. There are many ways to go about this type of trade.
Later in the week, I will discuss the ins and outs of selecting a strike when you sell a put in an attempt to get long a stock.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV