CTS Corporation (NYSE: CTS) today announced first quarter 2012 revenues of $147.0 million, a decrease of 3% from the same period last year and a 2% increase from the fourth quarter 2011 revenues. First quarter 2012 net earnings were $2.3 million, or $0.07 per diluted share, compared to $5.1 million, or $0.15 per diluted share, in the same period last year. First quarter 2012 was affected by the following items:
- Timing of Thailand flood-related insurance reimbursements. The first quarter benefited from some insurance recoveries that related to 2011 expenses, due to a normal timing lag in recovery. CTS expects approximately $4.0 million, or $0.08 per share, in first quarter business interruption expenses to be reimbursed in the second quarter of 2012. Similarly, the second quarter flood-related expenses are expected to be reimbursed during the third quarter.
- The Company’s second pedal module for a global vehicle platform was introduced and we also began to ramp up our new piezoceramic product for hard disk drive (HDD) applications.
- Non-cash pension expense was approximately $1.0 million, or $0.02 per share, higher in the first quarter due to lower discount rates and asset returns.
- Delayed recovery of approximately $0.8 million, or $0.02 per share, in certain engineering prototype expense and rare earth cost increases from customers.
- The Valpey-Fisher acquisition was completed with integration activities on track.
First quarter 2012 Components and Sensors segment sales grew $4.4 million, or 6%, from the same period last year. Automotive sensor and actuator sales increased $1.8 million, or 4%, year-over-year primarily due to introduction of a new global pedal module. Electronic component sales increased $2.6 million, or 10%, from the new piezoceramic HDD product launch and incremental sales from the Valpey-Fisher acquisition, partially reduced by lower demand from telecom equipment providers. EMS first quarter sales decreased $8.9 million, or 11%, year-over-year primarily resulting from the continued impact of the Thailand flood. Some production at the Thailand facility has begun with volumes scheduled to ramp up over the next few months reaching normal capacity utilization by the end of second quarter 2012.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV