NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- After a roaring start to the year, bank stocks are losing steam, underperforming the broader markets in the second quarter so far, despite a mostly positive earnings season.
The KBW Bank Index has slipped 2.9% since April 13, which marked the beginning of the bank earnings season, while the S&P 500 has lost about 1.5%.
Bank of America (BAC), which led the market rally in the first quarter has shed 17% in the past month alone. Citigroup (C), which also benefited from the "risk-on" rally in the early part of the year has shed about 10%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV