CUPERTINO, Calif. ( TheStreet) -- Apple (AAPL) reported exceptional second-quarter results after market close on Tuesday, boosted my massive iPhone sales, helping reverse the recent sell-off in the tech giant's stock.
The iPhone maker announced quarterly earnings of $12.30 a share on $39.2 billion in revenue. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters expected earnings of $10.04 a share and revenue of $36.8 billion.
|Apple CEO Tim Cook.|
Despite rumors of an iPhone slowdown, Apple's smartphone business was robust. Apple, for example, enjoyed the second-highest iPhones sales in its history during the quarter, and its Asian iPhone business more than doubled.Apple sold 35.1 million iPhones during the quarter, down slightly from 37.03 million in its first-quarter, but up a massive 88% compared to the same period last year In addition to the 35.1 million iPhones, Apple also sold 11.8 million iPads, 4 million Macs and 7.7 million iPods. Investors were confident that Apple would report another set of strong results, and the Cupertino, Calif.-based technology giant delivered. Shares of Apple were down $16.07, or 2.81%, to $555.63 on Tuesday. Apple, however, is moving sharply higher in extended-hours trading, up 7.15% to $600.35. -- Written by James Rogers and Chris Ciaccia in New York. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/jamesjrogers. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV