Excluding items, the aircraft maker earned $1.11 a share. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters had estimated 94 cents. Revenue rose 30% to $19.4 billion. Analysts had estimated $18.4 billion.
Including items, primarily a reduction in a litigation reserve, Boeing earned $923 million, or $1.22 a share, representing a 58% increase from $586 million in the same period a year earlier. Margin was 8.1%, up 1.4 points from 6.7% a year earlier.
In premarket trading shortly following the earnings release, Boeing shares were up $1.82, or 2.5%, to $75.03."Strong core operating performance from our production programs and services businesses continues to drive expanded earnings, revenue and cash flow for Boeing," said CEO Jim McNerney, in a prepared statement. "We also grew our record backlog with more than 300 firm orders for our new 737 MAX, a contract award for 84 new F-15s for Saudi Arabia, and other key wins." Boeing's backlog is $380 billion including $42 billion of new orders. At Boeing Commercial Airplanes, revenue rose 54% to $10.9 billion on higher delivery volume and mix. Operating margin was 9.9%. The backlog of more than 4,000 airplanes is valued at a record $308 billion. At Boeing Defense, Space & Security, revenue rose 8% to $8.2 billion. Operating margin was 9%, up 0.2 points. The company boosted its full-year guidance to between $4.15 and $4.35 a share, reflecting the reduction in the litigation-related reserve. Analysts are estimating $4.47 a share. -- Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Ted Reed >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/tedreednc.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV