NEW YORK (TheStreet) - It's no secret Barnes & Noble (BKS), which still draws the bulk of its revenue from the near-extinct retail channel known as bookstores, has struggled to capitalize on new consumer habits and technology. Simply put, the company has failed to build sustainable 21st century profits.
But there's a hitch -- as brick and mortar book sales goes the way of the T. Rex, investors can't agree on whether to call Barnes & Noble a dinosaur or define it as a species that will adapt, with the help of activist investors.
After showing promise in competing against Silicon Valley heavyweights Apple (AAPL) and Amazon (AMZN) with its eBook platform Nook amid a forgettable 2011, Barnes & Noble looks like it has a chance. This has led activists to pile into the company's shares -- this week it was Jana Partners -- with the idea they can help to build an identity that de-emphasizes its bookstores. At the same time, short sellers have gone the other way and bet on failure.
The 12% share stake in Barnes & Noble unveiled by activist investor Jana Partners on Monday underscores that 2012 will be a decisive chapter in the bookseller's history. What's the next page: status quo, asset spins, an outright sale, or even bankruptcy?
|Investors should expect a 2012 page-turner from Barnes & Noble.|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV