"I think a large part of the program's success is due to our ability to offer in-depth expertise and advice that comes from living and breathing the food and beverage industry every day. We understand the challenges because we've been there; I've been there," Koch says. "From being turned down by banks 28 years ago when I was just starting out and desperately needed funding, to figuring out how to distribute my product, I know firsthand what these small business owners are going through and sincerely believe that Brewing the American Dream can help them overcome many of their obstacles."
3. The SBA is looking for more lenders to fund a pilot program. The Small Business Administration is looking to add more lenders to a program that will match small firms that have had difficulty obtaining financing.
The SBA's Intermediary Lending Pilot Program provides long-term loans of up to $200,000 to small businesses, according to the Associated Press.
The program was launched last year under the Small Business Jobs Act of 2010. At the time the SBA approved 20 so-called intermediary lenders in 15 states. The SBA is now taking applications for 20 more lenders, the AP says. These lenders receive a maximum of $1 million in SBA funding to help start-ups and small businesses.The SBA hopes to have a maximum of 60 lenders in the program. Businesses that want to borrow under the program must have been unable to obtain a loan elsewhere, but have the wherewithal to repay the loan, the AP says. However, unlike the SBA's 7(a) program, the small business or start-up does not have to show that it has personal financial resources that could be used to repay a loan, the article says. -- Written by Laurie Kulikowski in New York. To contact Laurie Kulikowski, send an email to: Laurie.Kulikowski@thestreet.com. To follow Laurie Kulikowski on Twitter, go to: http://twitter.com/#!/LKulikowski >To submit a news tip, email: email@example.com.
Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV