It's been a rough year for shareholders of Ericsson Telephone (ERIC) -- shares of the Swedish communications firm have fallen close to 30% in the last year as telecom stocks struggled to regain share of the increasingly concentrated communications equipment market. Again, even though Sweden isn't in the eurozone (its currency is the krona), massive corporate exposure to the euro and exchange mechanisms mean that Ericsson has the attributes we're looking for in these setups.
After ERIC's dramatic fall in the trailing 12 months, shares of the company have been stuck trading sideways in a consolidation channel. While that's been a frustrating scenario for Ericsson shareholders, it does provide traders with an actionable setup right now.
Currently, Ericsson is forming an if/then trade as it bounces in between horizontal resistance at $10.50 and horizontal support at $9. We're looking for a break outside that channel to provide a direction for ERIC's shares. Here's how it works: if ERIC breaks out above $10.50, then we've got a buy signal. Otherwise, if shares fall below $9 support, then ERIC becomes a short candidate.Until one of those two conditions get met, I'd recommend staying away from this stock. Ericsson showed up on a list of 6 Tech Stocks to Avoid in 2012.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV