Dutch chemical company LyondellBasell Industries (LYB) is another name that's forming an ascending triangle pattern right now -- albeit in the shorter-term. LYB has been stuck below horizontal resistance at $46 since the start of February, with uptrending support making up the other requisite part of this pattern. The buy signal comes on that push above the $46 level.
In LYB's case, we're looking at a pretty textbook example of an ascending triangle. Besides the pattern itself, declining volume adds some confirmation for this trade -- we want to see volume decline as the pattern progresses, followed by a volume spike when the stock breaks above $46. That spike tells us that traders are participating in the move.
Another important piece of evidence in the LYB setup is momentum, measured by this stock's 14-day RSI. RSI has been in an uptrend throughout the pattern, which suggests that buying is intensifying as LYB approaches resistance. That's an especially strong sign given that momentum is a leading indicator of price.On the breakout above $46, I'd recommend placing a protective stop just below the 50-day moving average. LyondellBasell shows up on lists of 11 Oil and Gas Stocks That Define the "New Middle East" and 5 Once-Bankrupt Companies Primed for a Comeback.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV