New Research Reveals One Third Of Young Athletes Sidelined Due To Preventable Injuries
WASHINGTON, April 24, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- In a new study released today, parents report 1 in 3 children who play team sports sustain injuries severe enough to require medical treatment.
Coaching Our Kids to Fewer Injuries: A Report on Youth Sports Safety, a national survey commissioned by Safe Kids Worldwide and Johnson & Johnson, reveals misperceptions and uninformed behaviors are all too common, resulting in overuse injuries, dehydration, concussions or worse. For example:
- Nine out of 10 parents underestimate the length of time kids should take off from playing any one sport during the year to protect them from overuse, overtraining and burnout. According to The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) and the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine (AOSSM), children should take 2 to 3 months, or a season, away from a specific sport every year. Young athletes are also encouraged to take at least 1 day off each week from organized activity.
- More than half of all coaches believe there is an acceptable amount of head contact during play, described in the survey as "getting your bell rung" or "seeing stars," without potentially causing a serious brain injury. The reality is it is hard to tell the degree of impact, and every precaution should be taken to protect kids from repeated concussions.
- Approximately 4 out of 10 parents underestimate the amount of fluids a typical young athlete needs per hour of play. Children need to drink fluids every 15-20 minutes during physical activity to avoid dehydration.
- Nearly half of all coaches indicated that they have felt pressure, either from parents or children, to play an injured child in a game.
- Three out of 10 kids think that good players should keep playing even when they're hurt, unless a coach or adult makes them stop.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV