NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Wall Street finished mixed on Tuesday with the Dow pushed higher by positive earnings reports and a dividend hike from IBM (IBM), and the Nasdaq tripped up by weakness in Apple (AAPL).
The market put aside worries about Europe for the day, instead focusing on solid numbers from AT&T (T) and 3M (MMM), as well as Big Blue's plans to boost its quarterly payout by 13% and buy back up to $7 billion worth of its stock.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 74 points, or 0.6%, to close at 13,001. Earlier in the session, the price-weighted index ran as high as 13,050. The S&P 500 tacked on 5 points or 0.4% to finish at 1372.
The Nasdaq slipped 8 points, or 0.3%, to settle at 2961. Apple was a headwind for the index, falling 2%. Shares of the iPad and iPhone maker have now fallen in 10 of the past 11 sessions.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV