Updated from 5:39 p.m. ET to include additional commentary on the FOMC meeting, after-hours action.
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Don't look now but the thesis that earnings are going to improve as the year wears on is starting to show some cracks.
According to Thomson Reuters data, the current blended analyst view is for profits from the S&P 500 to grow 9.8% in the second quarter, 6.2% in the third quarter, and 16.2% in the fourth quarter on a year-over-year basis.
But while the first quarter is shaping up pretty well, Tobias Levkovich, chief U.S. equity strategist at Citigroup, sees some clouds forming on the horizon."The austerity programs and credit conditions in Europe should mean a tougher second half economically, while the so-called US 'fiscal cliff' at year-end and Presidential elections in early November may cause management teams to defer some activity in 3Q12 until better
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV