NEW YORK -- Apple's (AAPL) fiscal second-quarter profit soared 93%, blowing past Wall Street's expectations.
Apple earned $12.30 a share in the quarter on revenue of $39.2 billion. Analysts were expecting earnings of $10.02 a share on revenue of $36.69 billion. About $22.7 billion of revenue was from sales of the iPhone.
Apple said it sold 35.1 million iPhones, 11.8 million iPads, 4 million Macs and 7.7 million iPods in the quarter.
Apple forecast third-quarter earnings of $8.68 a share on revenue of $34 billion; analysts currently expect profit of $9.93 a share on revenue of $37.45 billion.Apple Does It Again, Confounding Skeptics
Boeing (BA) the aerospace giant, is expected by analysts Wednesday to have earned 94 cents a share in the first quarter on revenue of $18.4 billion, up from 78 cents a share on revenue of $14.9 billion a year earlier. 10 Great Convertibles for This Summer
Caterpillar (CAT), the maker of construction and mining equipment, will report adjusted first-quarter earnings of $2.13 a share on revenue of $16.18 billion, according to analysts. Green Guilt: Most Hybrid Owners Don't Buy One Again
Baidu (BIDU), the Chinese Internet search company, said first-quarter earnings rose 76% but its revenue outlook for the second quarter was below Wall Street's estimates. Baidu forecast revenue of $847.2 million to $867 million for the second quarter; analysts are expecting revenue of $870 million.
Delta Air Lines (DAL) is expected by analysts to post a fourth-quarter loss of 4 cents a share on revenue of $8.35 billion.
Sprint Nextel (S) will report a first-quarter loss of 42 cents a share, according to analysts, on sales of $8.7 billion.
-- Written by Joseph Woelfel
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joseph Woelfel >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV