2012 University Of Maryland $75K Business Plan Competition Winners Announced
COLLEGE PARK, Md., April 23, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Maryland Technology Enterprise Institute (Mtech) today announces the winners of the 2012 University of Maryland $75K Business Plan Competition.
Winning student, faculty and recent alumni teams were selected from 91 initial entries and nine finalists, who gave investor presentations on April 20 to teams of expert judges before a public audience of students, faculty, alumni, and others from the regional startup venture community at the University of Maryland.
Winners, by category, include:
Graduate Student, Faculty and Researchers Category
- $10,000: zeroK Nanotech is developing ion source technologies that enable precise machining, analysis, and imaging of materials on nanometer-length scales.Team: Brenton Knuffman, post-doctoral researcher, Maryland NanoCenter; Adam V. Steele, post-doctoral researcher, Maryland NanoCenter
- $7,500: RedOx is developing power generation technologies for a variety of applications.Team: Eric Wachsman, director, University of Maryland Energy Research Center, professor, materials science and engineering, chemical engineering; Bryan Blackburn
- $2,500: Diagnostic anSERS is developing a system for detecting contaminants such as pesticides, explosives, and toxins in food products, ground water and other liquids.Team: Sean Virgile, Ph.D. student, Fischell Department of Bioengineering; Eric Hoppmann, Ph.D. student, Fischell Department of Bioengineering
- $5,000: Discreet Secrete Solutions is developing an effective, hands-free, concealable, and quiet breast pump that allows women to discreetly pump in the presence of others.Team: Susan Thompson, alumna, mechanical engineering (2006); Andrew Thompson, alumnus, mechanical engineering (2006); Kathleen McDowell; Angela Jillson
- $5,000: Sonify Biosciences LLC is developing a novel melanoma treatment based on non-chemical, non-ablative ultrasound technology.Team: Miriam S. Boer, alumna, biochemistry (2011)
- (to be determined) RedOx
- $10,000: Discreet Secrete Solutions
- $10,000: Sonify Biosciences LLC
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV