NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Over the past few weeks, investor confidence in the United States has been pestered relentlessly by the macroeconomic drama facing regions like the European Union and China. These crises have taken their toll on various corners of the marketplace, but one area that has managed to hold up relatively well throughout these tumultuous weeks has been the consumer.
The discretionary corner of the consumer sector has seen particularly impressive action; over the most recent one-month period, the Consumer Discretionary Select Sector SPDR (XLY) has managed to maintain its footing in positive territory, even as most other SPDR sector funds linked to cyclical market segments have slid to losses.
Given this recent show of resilience and the earnings calendar for the week ahead, funds designed to target top U.S. consumer destinations will likely be some of the more interesting products to watch. I encourage investors to wait until the festivities subside; but in the event that the earnings action goes smoothly, some of these products may even prove to be attractive options for those looking for a welcomed respite from the market's global macroeconomic challenges.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV