Left To Right: Dr. Wallace Boston, APUS President And CEO; David Hamill, Mayor Of Ranson, WV; Don Clendening, Vice Mayor Of Charles Town, WV; WV Congresswoman Shelley Moore Capito; And Harry Wilkins, APUS EVP And CFO. (Photo: American Public University System)
American Public University System (APUS) today hosted a ribbon-cutting ceremony to celebrate the completion of its new solar array, West Virginia’s largest. The opening, the most recent milestone in the school’s ongoing sustainability efforts, follows the opening of its energy-efficient Academic Center in late 2010, and precedes the planned completion later this year of its new adjacent Financial Center.
Left to right: Dr. Wallace Boston, APUS President and CEO; David Hamill, Mayor of Ranson, WV; Don Clendening, Vice Mayor of Charles Town, WV; WV Congresswoman Shelley Moore Capito; and Harry Wilkins, APUS EVP and CFO. (Photo: American Public University System)
“Yesterday, people around the world celebrated the 42 nd Anniversary of Earth Day by reflecting on the importance of sustainable living and embracing renewable energy,” said APUS President & CEO Dr. Wallace E. Boston. “Today, we reaffirm our commitment to promoting a more sustainable future for our students, our communities and our country."
The state-of-the-art installation includes more than 1,600 American-made solar panels on a canopy structure in the parking lot behind the Financial Center, and 15 charging stations, which will allow employees and visitors to re-charge their electric or hybrid vehicles. The new array will provide approximately half of the energy requirements of the Center, or enough electricity to power:
- 30 average-sized homes, or 480,000 kilowatt hours of electricity annually;
- More than 1.9 million miles, equal to 120 commuters driving 15,000 miles per year
Dr. Boston was joined by West Virginia Congresswoman Shelley Moore Capito and local government and Environmental Protection Agency officials. The dignitaries applauded APUS for its latest, and most visible, commitment to sustainability and corporate citizenship as part of the greater Charles Town and Ranson WV communities.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV