New A Nation In Motion Campaign Highlights Conditions Affecting One In Four Americans
AAOS showcases the value of orthopaedics through inspiring stories of real patients
ROSEMONT, Ill., April 23, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) today launched A Nation in Motion (anationinmotion.org), a new national campaign highlighting the value of orthopaedic care for people at every stage of life. The campaign centers around the inspiring stories of people whose lives and mobility have been restored, who are back at work and doing what they love because of their orthopaedic care. Patients are invited to share their personal orthopaedic care stories on the website and to play A Nation in Motion The Game, an interactive, easy-to-play game illustrating when orthopaedic care may be needed and how it can restore mobility throughout life.
Bone and joint health injuries and conditions prevent people from remaining active and enjoying life, but also from providing for themselves and their families. Because of bone and joint pain and injuries:
- 29 percent of all workplace injuries and illnesses required time away from work in 2010;
- Nearly 440 million days of work are missed annually;
- New claims of disability arise each year (27.5 percent of all new claims in 2010) making it the leading cause; and
- 26 million Americans have missed work in the past year and an additional 77 million Americans have visited the doctor in the past year, according to a recent consumer survey from AAOS.
"More than one in four Americans have bone or joint health problems, making these health concerns the greatest cause of lost work days in the United States," said John R. Tongue, MD, AAOS president. "When orthopaedic surgeons restore mobility and reduce pain, people are able to get back to work and lead independent, productive lives. It is imperative that we preserve access to orthopaedic care as it is key to ensuring that our communities, workforce and economy remain healthy and strong."Hundreds of patient stories already are featured on the website, including inspiring stories of people fighting cancer, recovering from traumatic accidents and returning to work after compassionate and successful orthopaedic care. Christina Ernst, one of the patients included on the website, said, "Because of my orthopaedic care, I can dance." Ernst was able to return to work in Evanston, Ill. as a dance instructor after hip replacement surgery. To further showcase the value of orthopaedic care, the A Nation in Motion campaign website includes an electronic game that illustrates the many reasons why people may need high-quality orthopaedic care in their lives, and provides players with relevant orthopaedic facts and figures. To learn more about the campaign, play the game, or to read inspiring patient stories, please visit anationinmotion.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV