NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The following stocks hit 52-week lows on Monday: Best Buy (BBY), First Solar (FSLR), James River Coal (JRCC), Newfield Exploration (NFX), Southwestern Energy (SWN) and EXCO Resources (XCO).
"Our LBO model shows that on a paper a deal is feasible at a price in the high $30 range, but, for the reasons listed below, we think a deal is unlikely: 1) Market share losses and increased competition would make it difficult for a buyer to stabilize comps and margins. Comps have fallen 2 years in a row and margins fell 50 bps last year. 2) The chairman Richard Schulze owns just under 20% and may be an unlikely seller. 3) At a high $30 range, the deal would require nearly $11b in debt and $5b in equity, bigger than recent LBO's in the space, which would make it difficult," Deutsche Bank analysts wrote in an April 18 report.
Shares of Best Buy hit a 52-week low on Monday of $21.31. The stock's 52-week high of $32.85 was set on June 21.Best Buy is trying to cut costs to the tune of $800 million by fiscal year 2015 through layoffs and store closures. The retailer announced earlier this month the location of 50 store closings. The company's board is looking for a new CEO following Brian Dunn's resignation earlier this month due to "personal conduct" issues. Best Buy trades at an estimated price-to-earnings ratio for next year of 5.78 times; the average for specialty retailers is 15.84. For comparison, GameStop (GME) has a higher forward P/E of 6.46. Twenty of the 29 analysts who cover Best Buy rated it hold. Five analysts gave the stock a buy rating and four rated it sell. TheStreet Ratings gives Best Buy a C grade and hold rating. The stock has fallen 6.68% year to date.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV