As usual, our press release and the accompanying information slide deck were published at 7 AM Central European Time this morning. Both documents are now available for download from our Investor Relations website. We will also make available a full transcript of this conference call on the Investor Relations website by tomorrow at the latest.
With that, let me hand over to Frans to start proceedings for the day.
Frans van Houten
Thanks, Abhijit. Welcome and thank you for joining us today for our first quarter 2012 earnings conference call.The end of the first quarter marks the completion of my first year as CEO of Philips. And as I reflect on my tenure this far, I am pleased with the progress that we have made over the last year. It remains clear that Philips has a wealth of talent, great assets, a strong brand, a global footprint, we operate in the right markets and have the right portfolio to address key global trends, and a large majority of our businesses have the right fundamentals for profitable growth. Yet, our performance does not match our potential. In order to address this disparity, we designed and launched our change in improvement program Accelerate! which is aimed at reigniting organic growth in Philips, and making us an agile entrepreneurial innovator. I’m happy to report that we are now seeing solid improvement across all sectors of our business and our growth figures for the first quarter confirm this trend, with Healthcare growing at 9%, Consumer Lifestyle growth businesses above 7%, and Lighting at 2%. Excluding external sales of Lumileds, which saw a double-digit decline in the quarter, due to inventory correction in the channel and an increasing mix of internal sales, our Lighting business actually grew by 4% in the quarter. LED product sales for the quarter grew by 22%, and if we were to exclude Lumileds even by 50%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV