The following commentary comes from an independent investor or market observer as part of TheStreet's guest contributor program, which is separate from the company's news coverage.
NEW YORK (
TheStreet) -- It goes without saying that 2012 so far has been the year of the chips. Names such as
(INTC) have clearly
What is not a mystery in all of this is what has been the catalyst of such resurgence -- of course, it's the growing popularity of smartphones and mobile devices. Obviously, whenever these products are mentioned, the first names that come to mind are Apple (AAPL) and Google (GOOG) -- with good reason. But what I have begun to realize is that when considering the names that are printed on top of the mobile devices, it has now become equally as important to consider the names that are inside those devices as well.
Speaking of "inside," this was how chip giant Intel grew to one of the largest companies in the world as it was inside virtually every PC that left the production lines -- regardless of brand. So it stands to reason that the same effect will occur for the companies that are "inside" the rise of the smart phone and devices market -- many of which combine various social networking, gaming, scheduling and other business functions that have quickly moved from "wants" to "must-haves." And analysts expect the usage of these devices to continue to explode. So the question is, why do some of these names continue to trade at a discount? It seems investors have not sought to take advantage or they're not paying enough attention.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV